Mexican cuisine is packed with delicious, complex flavors, and mole is no exception. The nation’s signature sauce gets its dark color from Mexican chocolate and has a savory, smoky taste. This Chicken Mole recipe capitalizes on the flavorful richness of mole while keeping the calorie count low. Go ahead, top your chicken with mole and enjoy a protein-packed lunch or dinner!
- 3 large dried ancho (or pasilla) chiles, stems, seeds, and ribs removed and discarded
- 1½ cups hot water
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil, divided use
- 1½ medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 6-inch corn tortillas, toasted, torn into pieces
- 2 Tbsp. all-natural smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1¾ cups low-sodium organic vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 1 (3.1-oz.) square Mexican chocolate (like Ibarra or Abuelita), chopped
- 1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 (4-oz.) raw chicken breasts
- Soak chiles in water for 15 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Place onion mixture, chiles, tortillas, peanut butter, oregano, and broth in blender, in two or more batches, if necessary; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until very smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan; cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add chocolate. Season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until chocolate is melted and mixture is thick enough to coat a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken breasts; cook, turning once, for 7 to 9 minutes, or until chicken breasts are no longer pink in the middle.
- Top each chicken breast with ⅓ cup mole sauce.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 73 mg
Sodium: 539 mg
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugars: 15 g
Protein: 26 g
Body Beast Portions
Portion Fix Containers
Not familiar with Portion Fix? Find out how Portion Fix can make losing weight simple.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe you’re asking about.